Sunday, January 22, 2012

An acrostic for teachers

       For some teachers to write objectives is a real pain in the neck. They usually have a rough idea of what they want to teach but when it comes to assess what their students have learned, they end up to be either too strict or too lenient. Why does this happen? Obviously because they haven't clearly stated their objectives from the very beginning not even to themselves.
     According to the relevant literature, a teacher should know that the learning objectives can be cognitive, psychomotor and affective. A long list of verbs are suggested as appropriate to use when a teacher wants to write an objective of any category. And then a whole theory about the reasons why certain verbs should be avoided.

     The ABCD method of writing objectives that I've learned  this week seems to be very practical. Acrostics are always helpful as they remind you what you shouldn't forget.

     ABCD works as an acrostic that reveals the most important elements of an objective. A for Audience (the learners), B for Behaviour (what learners will be able to do after the teaching), C for Condition (how or the context in which the learning will take place), D for Degree (to what extent, in how much time,  how well?).

A (Audience) helps you consider the students' profile, skills, starting point.
B (Behaviour) helps decide and design where you want to take your students
C (Condition) helps you consider the teaching tools, the teaching approach, the time required, the learning      environment
D (Degree) reminds you that you must set the criteria against which the students' performance will be evaluated well in advance.

Clear though the method it is, it requires a lot of practice on the part of the teachers until they become absolutely able to put all four in one. After reflecting on how well I can apply the ABCD method to my every day teaching practice, I decided to replace the highlighted verb above with the verb "I've been taught". I feel I need to practice more until I meet the target.

References
http://ets.tlt.psu.edu/learningdesign/objectives/writingobjectives/
http://www.slideshare.net/ashleytan/writing-specific-instructionallearning-objectives-presentation

4 comments:

  1. Hello Marina

    The words that you have used in your first paragraph really describes most of the teachers. and moreover it represents some of my colleagues whom I have been working with. They always feel like a great pain at the time they have to fill the Daily Lesson Plan Book with clear objectives and teaching learning activities. Now I have found what really made them feel difficulty in writing objectives. Since they don't have clear ideas in regard to to formulating ideas. difficulty always persist. I hope as I would share ABCD model with them , the difficulty will me removed thereafter.
    Lastly, the highlighted Phrase "I've learned" and "I've been taught" is so impressive.

    Regards
    sagun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sagun, for your nice words!

      How well you did that you disseminated your new knowledge with colleagues! That's wonderful!

      Marina

      Delete
  2. Hi Marina!
    Really niice work.
    I have to admit that I really identified myself witht your statement. It was a real "pain" to go over a simple objective; but fortunatel, after reading different examples and participations in the forum I could finally come up with a nice objective.

    Setting clear and detailed is indeed a challenge but it is really rewarding experience. Setting objectives in an accurate manner help us set the strategies and activities needed to reach our goal.

    Regards

    Ariel Martínez S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ariel!

    You are absolutely right! Clear objectives? clear design of a lesson!

    Thank you for sharing with me your views!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete